It was a good thing that I did some testing last night before going directly to the project.
I tried the melted wax crayons techniques on an old used canvas. I tried the Sharpie marker with rubbing alcohol which didn’t go well as planned. Maybe I used the canvas that was already gesso? I don’t know. So I tried it with crayons. The black plastic knife was from one of the take out containers so that I was free. The ruler, I brought from the Dollar Tree for this project. I wasn’t going to ruin one of my good rulers. The irony of that is that this ruler is starting to be one of my best rulers.
I had to use the heat gun for this project since I did not own a hair dryer. Talk about irony. A girl who does not own a hair dryer.
TIP: Freeze your crayons before you use them because the labels will come off easier. I also ended up storing them in the fridge because of this hot weather.
The color does blend better as if I was color directly on the canvas with the heating gun blowing. Instead of holding it with the plastic knife and have the heating knife create a puddle. I also learned that it is best to wear old clothes because wax drips on clothes, DOES NOT wash off.
I scrapped half of the canvas with the ruler like squeegee. It did a give a smooth surface. Once it was cool, I painted a white strip across and let it dry.
I wanted to see of how it react to the wax, which was ok. Then I thought that this would be a great background for a mixed media project that I have been planning to do. But that is when the trouble begins.
The yellow and red colors are from the watercolor pencils. The yellow, I drew directly on the canvas and as you can see, it scrapped away the paint. The red, I used a wet paintbrush and rubbed it against the pencil before painting on the canvas. The blue is acrylic with I dipped my brush in the lid and painted on canvas. I decided to try out modge podge with tissue and a piece of a cardstock. The one on the left, I used white glue directly on it. And this morning, everything peel off.
So the wax crayons are out for the challenge. And yes, I know that I will be using cardstock as my base, not canvas so I may have different results. So either I used all watercolor, all acrylic, or watercolor with acrylic.
I was leaning toward pumpkins, but last night while watching a video for research on another project, I was doodling and I ended up doodling a couple of horses. And if you do not mind tooting my own horn, they turned out really good.
I then decided to do two pieces for the challenges. I brought a storybook at the Dollar Tree and have been using it as an art journal. Actually it is my Art Journal Prompt, so whenever I find a prompt, I used that journal. So I prepped a page with white paint instead of gesso and now I am going to try something. I am leaning towards horses except guess of what the first page of my journal is. Yup, horses. But since it is only an 8X8 size, I can do the pumpkins. Do the horses on the bigger sheet where I can use the stencil.
Decisions, decisions, decisions.